Friday, April 10, 2009

Buona Pasqua

I’m off to my favorite Italian bakery in town, “La Dolce Vita.” They carry all my must-have items to make Easter dinner festive, including: the “Colombo” (baked bread in the shape of a dove); biscotti di mandorle (almond paste cookies with pine nuts), and chocolate eggs filled with a “sorpreza” (surprise)—a small toy.

Having just returned from the country, so aptly named “La Dolce Vita,” the images are still fresh in my mind. And with the recent earthquakes in the town of Aquila, my heart aches for the people and the country that is so full of pain right now.

Having lived through my share of earthquakes in Sicily, I can still picture the beds moving across the speckled marble floor, the "palazzo" swaying back and forth, and the screaming and shouting as many jumped from their balconies and windows to escape being crushed from the collapse of buildings. We endured one of Italy’s worst earthquakes in 1981, but we were spared harm.

All these years later, I look back and realize there was a purpose for us surviving…we have two beautiful sons with which to share the blessing of Easter. This Easter we will pray for the country we hold so dear and unite around the table to give thanks to God for giving us this one life to live for Him!

Buona Pasqua Tutti!


No comments: