Friday, December 18, 2009

A White Christmas

The first time I saw a white Christmas was my freshman year at Whitworth College in Spokane, Washington. It actually started in October and lasted all the way through May!

My roommate who had lived in Spokane her entire life knew right away when the first snowflakes had fallen during the night. When snow blankets the ground, there's a peaceful silence. I can "hear" it now, but back then I had no idea what "Misty" was talking about. The thrill of seeing white-flocked pine trees, white sidewalks, and frosted windows is a sight I will never forget. It was a magical playground.

Having lived in tropical climates and snow-filled climates, I have to say I do love the snow from the inside out. The thrill of sledding, throw snowballs and making angels in the snow is now reserved for the neighbor kids (mostly!). But the joy of watching snow fall never ceases to amaze me. I still get excited when I hear the forecast -- "snow is on its way."


This weekend we are due for an arctic blast which promises snow (and more snow for Christmas. It's guaranteed to be a "White Christmas").


Maybe it's the fascination I had with snow globes when I was younger -- shaking it up and watching the flakes fall softly to the bottom of the globe and shaking it up again. The thrill of snow is still with me and I'm excited for a "White Christmas" once again.


Wishing all of you a White Christmas!


Joyfully His,


No comments: