Thursday, November 12, 2009

Apple Strudel

Someone recently asked me what my favorite part of the trip to Austria was and I blurted out, "Apple Strudel." No, it's not a place...it's something to eat. And if I'm truly honest...I ate my way through that country. Instead of losing five pounds like I normally do on trips, I think I gained five. But it was worth every bite.

You cannot go to that part of Europe and not eat this traditional delicacy -- apple strudel.



If you visit the Schonbrunn Palace, you can actually see a strudel demonstration as part of your "classic" ticket admission. Because it was a cold, damp, and dreary day, there's nothing like a warm Austrian tea house to perk up your spirits.



As we walked into the seating area, we were given a bite-size portion of strudel (not nearly enough!), and then the demonstration began. One of our very own ladies on the tour, Deb, was chosen to participate in the strudel show. Afterwards Deb was given a "Certificate of Achievement," and I'm sure her name is written somewhere in the strudel history books.



Believe it or not, there's a hotline number you can call in case your strudel flops!



It was one of the highlights of the trip to see Deb covered in pastry dough and making strudel dough history at the same time.

Of course, all of that is to get you to buy something -- right? Because I travel light and I do mean light (only a backpack on wheels), I resisted the temptation and instead copied the recipe for all of you!







No comments: