Friday, June 27, 2008

California Here We Come!

I’m a California girl at heart.

When people ask me where I’m from (I always say the West Coast—California!). It’s HOME to me.

So I guess it’s no surprise to any of you that when Mark retires in 2010 (or sooner!), we will be moving to sunny California.

It was always in our plan to return home once our “boys” were raised (they will be 22 and 27 this summer). Our entire family lives in the San Francisco Bay Area, and we took the verse in the Bible “leave and cleave” very seriously when we were married. Now 32 years later, as my parents and Mark’s dad enjoy the “golden” years, we want to be available to share in that time with them.

Yesterday, we checked out housing on the Internet. It’s a buyer’s market, and some houses are almost being given away. We found a couple of homes that we were interested in, but since we won’t be moving for a while, it’s too early to snatch any of the deals at the moment. But don’t think that stopped me from wanting to pack my bags as of yesterday.

It’s hot and humid here on the East Coast and as much as we’ve enjoyed living here, there’s something about California that beckons me: the cool mornings and evenings (even though it can be 110 degrees during the day); knowing that the ocean is less than a stone’s throw away; the Sierras in my backyard; Napa Valley in my front yard; the smell of Oleander bushes lining the freeways; commuter traffic (I call it reading time!); the smell of Redwood trees; Yosemite National Forest; Mt. Hermon (where I went to camp as a teenager); and the joy of watching (not picking!) California poppies along freeways, backyards, and sidewalks ALL year long!We have moved 27 times in 32 years, and so this will be our last and FINAL move (until God calls us home). It will take Mark about a year to recuperate from his injuries sustained in the biking accident, which gives us just enough time to do the necessary packing.

What about our “boys,” you might ask? Well, I learned a long time ago, you can’t follow your kids around. We raised them to be independent and secure adults. They have lives of their own and girlfriends (possibly future wives) that will care for them (smile!). Besides, we’ll just be a phone call away, and somehow the idea of vacationing in California to visit Mom and Dad doesn’t sound that bad either.

So, California, here we come!



Technorati Tags:
, , ,

8 comments:

Greg C said...

Oh Connie, I can hear it calling you. I can't live away from the ocean, but the Atlantic is calling me louder. Next year we well visit California though because my family has never been there. I have. This is for you, my favorite poem:

I must go down to the sea again......And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.


John Masefield

Connie Pombo said...

I love that poem...thank you Greg!

We spent our honeymoon in San Simeon, California. The Cavalier Inn was right on the ocean (250 yards from our room). Of course back in 1975, it was $35 a night; I can't even imagine what it is now. There's something about the sound of ocean waves that relax and sustain the soul!

Here's to the Atlantic and the Pacific!

Flea said...

You're making a pit stop in Tulsa, right? :)

Sounds idyllic. I'm so glad you both know what the future looks like and can agree on it. Tulsa called me for nearly two decades and here I am. It's home. Everything I expected and didn't even know I needed. And more.

Here's to a speedy recovery for Mark and a smooth move for you both!

Connie Pombo said...

Flea,

I'm excited about getting to California, but not the move especially. I told Mark with my bad shoulder and his hurt hip, we make for a sorry sight for a couple moving across country.

Let's see, where is Tulsa, OK? (Just kidding!). I think it's one of the states that I haven't been to. Umm...just might have to make a pit stop!

HUGS!

Flea said...

Well yeah you need to stop in! Suzie Eller lives an hour from here! We'll have a big party and everything! Mark's hip will be in good shape by then and we'll all hike near Suzie's home (beautiful country her way).

I guess it's just most important that the two of you make it to CA, huh? :)

Connie Pombo said...

Yep, it's very important to us! Although we have loved being on the East Coast (wow...some amazing things we've seen); it's vital that we spend this time with our family. Thirty-two years is TOO LONG time to be away from family.

You're only an hour from Suzie? Strangely enough, I never got to meet any of the Boomer Babes in person except Dotsie (what a gem!). But I feel like I know each of them through e-mails and phone calls!

Mark had his first driving lesson...(I'll have to blog about that!). I was more nervous than when I drove with the boys for the first time. YIKES!

Okay, off to pool therapy with my "patient."

HUGS!

Susan Skitt said...

Oh me, oh my, I should have suspected, but I wonder why you all didn't move sooner? (except for the boys and college) When we would do those book events in the Dutch Country, you didn't quite fit in, but in a good way! I'll never forget the first time I met you on our U-Turns book tour, I thought, "Now look at that lady! She looks like a movie star!" Now I know why - she's been a California girl all along :0

Well, not that I want you to go so soon, but... it will give me a nice excuse to visit California again. I was there once and loved it! But in the mean time, I'll email and maybe we can set a date in August for Mt. Gretna, okay? The last hurrah for Dutch Country :)

Love ya dear,
Susan

P.S. I'll be at the Philly writers conference on Saturday this year.

Connie Pombo said...

Susan,

LOL! :) A movie star?!?!? I don't think so, but thanks for the compliment.

Actually, it was me that kept us moving back many years ago. We had been here for about two years when my sister's son died suddenly and unexpectantly, and we realized we needed to be closer to family. I was tired of moving and planted my feet!

I'm thankful that we did stay here because Lancaster County is such a great place to raise kids. But now that they're all grown up, it's time to move one last time.

Yes, let's get together in August. I have a speaking engagement in West Virginia August 8-9, and then after that would be good. E-mail me, okay?

HUGS!